Cow Bay Homestay B&B was built in 1988 by a local builder named "Handbag Harvey". He built poles homes with the use of Cypress Pine, which is known to be termite resistant.
We bought the house in 1996 and developed the current lay out over the years, taking care to keep the house cool in summer and warm in winter. During our renovations and improvements we used a variety of timber some from the property, locally sourced or imported.
Brian has become very good at working with timber and everyone here is a bit passionate about their timber work and happy to share stories and tips. There are some first rate timber and cabinet makers in this area and a lot of accomplished hobbyists.
- Cypress Pine: Used in the house and floors
- Silky Oaks: All doors and windows
- Rosewood: Infill on bi fold louvered doors along veranda
- Bamboo: Floor in lounge areas
- River Red Gum: Coffee table
- Sally Wattle: Benches in bath rooms, office and kitchen servery
- Turpentine: All the poles
- Blue Gum: Frame of bi fold to deck, front steps, window frames in Queen Room 2, surrounding bench on deck
- Kwila: Vanity in Queen Room 2
- White Oak: Bi folds to deck top windows